Name: Sean Todd
Address: 100 Hunters Crossing, EG
Email address: [email protected]
- Villanova University, Business Administration with a concentration in Chinese (1999)
- Eastern Normal China University, International Business Program (1997)
Marital status: Married to Stephanie Todd
Number of children/grandchildren: 1 child, Alex, age 3
Occupation: District Sales Manager, BioReference Laboratories
Have you run for elected office before? No
Have you held elected office before? No
Why are you running for Town Council?
September 11, 2001, I lived in Hoboken, N.J., across the Hudson River from NYC. I watched the towers fall. I lost classmates and many neighbors in my apartment building. It was life changing for me. I vowed when I bought my own home, I would “do my part” and become a volunteer firefighter, which I did for years until I moved to Rhode Island. Here, I joined Big Brothers Big Sisters and mentored a child for a few years as my volunteerism. This is my next step to give back to my community. I’ve always had an admiration for politics and fiscal conservatism, and want to continue the long strides our previous Republican Council has made in curbing wasteful spending, and consolidating services while keeping the tax rate stable.
What are the most important issues facing our town?
- Property Taxes- The majority of our tax dollars get earmarked to our schools and township personnel. We must continue to look for efficiencies to slim down the costs without losing the level of services.
- Building Upgrades – One thing that is very unappealing is a vacant building with no tax revenue. I would look for ways to entice companies to seek East Greenwich as a place to open businesses and increase our commercial tax revenue.
- Consolidation of School and Town Functions- Capitalize on the positive working relationship between the School Committee and the Town Council. I would look for ways to collaborate efforts of same or similar services already being serviced by Town employees to cut costs.
What distinguishes you from the other primary candidates for Town Council?
I’m a young entrepreneur who opened my 1st LLC [limited liability corporation] at 17 years old. I’ve been involved in successful small businesses my whole life, and know what would entice companies to start a shop in East Greenwich. Because of my business background, I can use my knowledge base to help guide the town’s expenditures to operate like the private sector. With my involvement in the public sector as a firefighter, I’ve seen bloated spending and waste from the inside. It’s this polarity and insight I bring, which makes me the right choice to help continue streamlining services for our customer, the taxpayer.
Is there anything else about yourself you’d like to add?