Ed. Note: An earlier version of this story had the wrong address. Sorry for the confusion.
A fire Wednesday evening at 174 Crompton Ave. caused heavy damage to the house’s back porch but just slight smoke damage inside the house and there were no injuries, said Fire Chief Russell McGillivray.
The fire was called in at 6:51 p.m. after a neighbor noticed it. No one was home at the time.
McGillivray said one of the residents used the back porch for smoking and ashes from the wood stove had been dumped there – either one of those may have caused the blaze, he said.
The fire was extinguished from the outside and the residents have been able to remain in the house. It was not considered suspicious.