Breakfast is the best! I just love creating a good and healthy breakfast, enjoy some of my favorite recipes.
Banana Bread Oatmeal
Gluten free, sugar free and vegan
1 c. gluten free cooking oats
1 c. water
1 c. almond milk
1 tbsp. or so goji berries
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
1-2 tsp raw cacao powder
½ a mashed banana
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1 tbsp or so of chopped walnuts
- Cook oats in almond milk and water with goji berries, until liquid is absorbed and goji berries are plumped.
- Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, cocoa powder and maple syrup. Remove from heat.
- Stir in mashed banana
- Divide into 2-3 servings and top with chia seeds and walnuts.
Oatmeal is a fantastic way to start off the day, it’s quick, easy, healthy and you can customize it to your liking. I love creating oatmeal dishes, another one of our favorites is oatmeal with pomegranate seeds, dark chocolate chips, a dollop of yogurt, drizzle of honey and a sprinkling of chia seeds. The way dark chocolate chips melt into oatmeal is just to die for.
Coconut Lemon Zest Pancakes with Blueberry Reduction
Gluten free, sugar free, dairy free
1 c. coconut flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. sea salt
½ c. coconut milk
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 tsp. coconut nectar
lemon zest from 1 small lemon
1 tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut
coconut oil (spray) for cooking
¼-½ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1-2 tbsp. water
pinch of stevia
- Whisk together coconut flour, baking soda and salt
- Whisk in eggs, coconut milk, vanilla extract, coconut nectar, lemon zest and shredded coconut until you have a consistent batter.
- Put blueberries in small pot with water and pinch of powdered stevia or 2-3 drops of liquid stevia and boil down on medium- high. Should become thick as syrup can mash blueberries to make a compote (if using ¼ c. blueberries use 1 tbsp. water; ½ c. blueberries use 2 tbsp. water)
- Spray on or add coconut oil to griddle set to 325 degrees.
- Pour pancake batter onto griddle and cook pancakes 3-4 minutes each side. These pancakes will cook slower than normal pancakes. Batter will make 6 medium pancakes.
- Plate and top with blueberry reduction optional: drizzle pure maple syrup. Serving 2-3
I decided to add lemon zest and coconut to pancakes about a year or so ago, they are so delicious and what a match with blueberries or blackberries! I suggest to always use organic blueberries as berries contain the most pesticides. This time of year I generally buy frozen organic berries. I also suggest to use organic lemon as the peel contains pesticides and you want your zest to be fresh and chemical free. There is no need to make pancakes from scratch all the time, this recipe can easily be made with boxed pancakes. Follow directions on box and add lemon zest and shredded coconut to batter and top with berry reduction.
Fried Egg, Cheddar and Avocado Sandwich
Vegetarian, gluten free optional
pinch of cracked pepper
1 slice of cheddar cheese
1 slice yellow onion
¼ of an avocado sliced
2-3 roma tomato slices
1 english muffin toasted or gluten free bread toasted
1-2 tsp olive oil
coconut oil spray or oil
Coat frying pan with olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sliced onion and cook until translucent and browned (about 5 minutes) then set aside
- Place english muffin or bread in toaster. (or grill)
- Recoat pan with coconut oil
- Crack egg into pan cook a few minutes until whites are white and edges are golden.
- Flip and add slice of cheddar, cook another minute or two until cheese has just melted.
- Add a twist or pinch of cracked pepper.
- Plate toasted english muffin or bread slice, top with egg, caramelized onions, roma tomato and avocado slices, finish off with another bread slice. Makes 1 sandwich
This is a hearty and mouth watering sandwich, enjoy it with some slices of grapefruit for a complete meal. There is no better place to get farm fresh pastured eggs then right here in EG at Pat’s Pastured. http://patspastured.com/
Kristen Beaulieuis an art educator that lives in and owns a small business, Figgy’s Art Studio, in East Greenwich. She has a deep passion for food and cooking, believing strongly it’s another form of creative expression.