Above: EGAHOF 2019 honorees.
The East Greenwich Athletic Hall of Fame selection committee is pleased to announce its East Greenwich Athletic Hall of Fame Class for 2019. The committee evaluated 25 candidates, all of whom had very impressive athletic accomplishments.
“Frankly, it is humbling,” said committee co-chair Guy Asadorian, “to realize how many accomplished athletes have come out of a town the size of East Greenwich. It should make us all proud.”
Those being honored are : Mark Russo, Class of ’80; Damon Popella, ’89; Sue Cameron Kiernan, ’91; Ken Cahoon,’91; Tim Burbridge, ’02; and Carl Swanson, EGHS hockey coach in the ’80s. (Nominees who were not selected for induction this year will be automatically re-submitted for consideration next year.)
Richard Walsh III, Class of ’72, is receiving a Special Recognition Award.
Also being honored that day will be the two EGHS winners of the Anthony “Tar ” Ucci Awards, Julia Matus and John M. Anderson IV. They were chosen on basis of athletic, academics and community service.
The banquet will take place April 28, at 2 p.m. at the Quonset O Club, 200 Lt. James Brown Road in North Kingstown.
Tickets are $25; please RSVP by April 14. Contact EGAHOF Co-Chair Jeff Santos (401-884-3513 or [email protected]). Seating is limited.
2019 EG Athletic Hall of Fame Inductees
Coach Carl Swanson
- EGHS Hockey Coach ’72-’82. First coach of the new EG Hockey program. Also science teacher
- Under his guidance the team won 5 state championships
- ’76-77 team went 29-1, won the state championship, had 2 first team all staters and 6 players went on to play major college hockey
- Played 4 years of Football, Basketball and baseball at EGHS
- Multiple all state and all division awards
- Projo Honor Roll- Male winner
- Played 4 years of both football and baseball in college at Williams College
- Named to all conference team twice in baseball at Williams
- Played football (3 year varsity starter), basketball (2 yr starter) , and track (4 yr starter)
- Multiple all state and all division awards in both football and basketball
- Holds EGHS record for 200M dash and long jump
- Earned 4 year scholarship to play football at California Univ in PA. Named all conference and chosen as pre-season all American in senior year
- Try out with the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Varsity Football (3 yr) and Track (4 yrs)
- Named all-division and 2ndteam all state football and 2nd team all new England in discuss
- Held EGHS record for discuss throw
- Played football at URI and started 2 years on the best URI team in history 1984
- Played football baseball and wrestled.
- Multiple all division honors in wrestling, FB and BB
- 2 time all new England winner in wrestling
- Wrestled at Springfield College and placed 3rd in Easter Region Div 2 conference tourney
Susan Cameron Kiernan
- 4 year participant in field hockey, basketball and softball
- Multiple all state and all division awards in all sports
- 3 year starter at Holy Cross College in field hockey. Named captain and 1st team all Patriot League
- Heavily involved in EG youth athletics at board and volunteer level for EG Youth Field Hockey Assoc and EG Basketball Assoc
Special Award Winner Rick Walsh
- President of the EGHS Alumni Football Association
Ucci Award Winners
- John Anderson – 3 sport participant and active in clubs, charitable causes and the community
- Julia Matus – 3 sport participant, EGBA volunteer, student council, Relay for Life volunteer