Four candidates who sprang from a parent group that’s organized over the past year signed up to run for School Committee Tuesday morning. From left: Yan Sun, Michael Fain, Kristin Lehoullier and David Osborne. Credit: EG News
In the end, three of the four incumbents up for reelection to the School Committee put in to run again. But that’s just a small portion of the field of 10 candidates who filed to run by the deadline – Wednesday, June 25, at 4 p.m.
Five independents, four Republicans and one Democrat have stepped up to run.
The incumbents running for reelection are Chairman David Green and Jack Sommer, both seeking a second four-year term, and Mary Ellen Winters, seeking a third term. For Winter, this would be her final term if elected; School Committee members are limited to 12 consecutive years in office.
Perhaps the biggest surprise Wednesday was the declaration by former School Committeeman Paul Martin, who lost in 2010 and filed papers in 2012 but did not turn in the requisite 50 signatures.
Here’s the candidate breakdown:
- Michael Fain, a financial consultant for Oracle (read more here)
- Kristin Lehoullier, a strategic planning consultant (read more here)
- Domenic Marcone, a retired Warwick teacher who ran in 2012
- Incumbent Jack Sommer, a mortgage banker at Wells Fargo first elected in 2010
- Yan Sun, associate professor in computer engineering at URI (read more here)
- Incumbent David Green, a retired Textron executive first elected in 2010
- Paul Martin, former School Committee member and retired teacher who last served on the School Committee 2008-12
- Christen Meyer, a Mary Kay beauty representative
- Incumbent Mary Ellen Winters, an office administrator for her husband’s medical practice first elected in 2006
- David Osborne, an education consultant with Criterion Education (read more here)
To continue in the election, the candidates have to take out signature papers (available July 1) and submit at least 50 signatures from East Greenwich registered voters by 4 p.m. July 11. We will be writing more about the candidates in the weeks and months ahead.
Join our email list and get the daily newsletter. Contact [email protected]. Like EG News on Facebook here. Follow us @egreenwichnews.
Elizabeth, Dr. Yan Sun is an associate professor(not associate Yan Sun, associate profession rom URI).
Elizabeth, Dr. Yan Sun is an associate professor(not associate profession) from URI.