Police Log: Spitting, Swearing and a $12K Swindle

by | Dec 30, 2018

By Bethany J. Hashway

Monday, Dec. 3

8:13 a.m.  – A Middle Road resident told police his car had been broken into overnight while parked in his driveway. This morning, he said, the left rear side door was open and a new pair of Coleman brand boot were missing. The man said the boots were brand new and still in their box. Surveillance video from the house showed a flash of light in the driveway area at 3:50 a.m. The car had been unlocked.

Tuesday, Dec. 4

9:15 a.m. –  Police arrested a Wakefield man, 38, for simple assault and battery, resisting arrest, and disorderly conduct after police received a call from a motorist regarding a man running and jumping in and out of traffic in the eastbound lane on Division Street near the Route 4 overpass. While police were en route, someone called dispatch to report the man yelled, “Hit me!” When police arrived, the man was uncooperative, giving nonsensical answers to their questions. The man then grabbed a police officer’s arm and yelled, “I’m going to kick your butt!” At that point, police handcuffed the man and took him into custody as the man yelled expletives at them. In an attempt to get the man into the police car, the man got cut on his head. In a cell at the police station, the man spit several times and said he wanted to “slit your throat.” Police called rescue and he was placed in arm and leg restraints and taken to Kent Hospital.

Wednesday, Dec. 5

2:20 p.m. – A Tanglewood Drive resident told police his car had been keyed on both passenger-side doors.

Thursday, Dec. 6

11:30 a.m. – A Pine Glen resident told police she sent $12,000 to an address in Philadelphia after getting a phone call from someone who said he was with the EG police and that her grandson had been arrested on a narcotics charge. The man on the phone told the woman her grandson would only be released if she sent the $12,000 to an address in philadelphia. She withdrew the money in $100 bills then mailed it via Federal Express to the Philadelphia address. When she didn’t hear from the alleged police officer again, she checked in with her son, who said her grandson had not been arrested. He checked out the address where his mother had sent the cash and it was a building up for sale.

Friday, Dec. 7

10:30 p.m. – Police arrested a North Kingstown man, 39, for driving under the influence after he was involved in a car accident at Main Street and First Avenue involving a sedan and a pickup truck. The NK man had been driving the pickup and when police arrived he was trying to leave the scene of the accident. Even after police told the man to stop, he kept moving away from police. His gait was unsteady and he appeared to be very drunk, according to the report. After the man fell to the ground, police picked him up and put him in a police car. He became upset at that point and started swearing at the police. He declined medical treatment but after he was taken to the station, police decided he should be checked out at the hospital because his head had hit the windshield during the accident. At Kent Hospital, the man continued to be uncooperative and tried to spit at people so he was restrained.

Help keep EG News reporting the news in 2019 – donate today! You can donate by clicking the link below or sending a check to EG News, 18 Prospect St., E.G., RI 02818.

Value the news you get here on East Greenwich News? As a 501-c3, we depend on reader support. Become a sustaining (monthly) donor or make a one-time donation! Click on the Donate button below or send a check to EG News, 18 Prospect St., East Greenwich, RI 02818. Thanks.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments


Newsletter Sign Up

* indicates required


Latest Streaming