Police Log: Fraught Encounter and Bloody Encounter

by | Mar 4, 2019

By Bethany J. Hashway

Tuesday, Feb. 5

1:29 a.m. – Police arrested a North Kingstown man, 31, for driving without consent of owner, resisting arrest, obstructing an officer, and receiving stolen goods after NKPD alerted EGPD about an alleged stolen vehicle they were following on Route 4  heading north toward East Greenwich. EGPD picked up the car heading east on Division Street near Sanctuary Drive. The car turned right on Howland Road and police lost it temporarily, finding it again behind L&S Automotive on Post Road. Inside the car, police could see someone in the driver’s seat, covered and possibly asleep. Police knocked on the window, then pounded on the window, finally rousing the person, who refused to open the door. Because the person remained covered, police couldn’t tell anything about him or her. The person started to reach for the center console. Police yelled to the person to stop. Finally, after the police said there were three weapons pointing at him, the man appeared from under the cover and said he had no weapon. The man did not open the door so police ended up breaking one of the car windows and pulled the man out of the vehicle. The man refused to put his hands behind his back so police used the taser on him and took him into custody. Police had EGFD rescue take the man to the hospital to be checked out. Later he was taken to the station and processed.

10:30 a.m. – Police arrested a Pawtucket man, 35, on a warrant after police stopped him for talking on his cell phone. Routine checks showed the man had a warrant and the car registration was suspended. The man was taken into custody, driven to EGPD for processing and later transported to Third District Court. The vehicle was towed and plates were seized. He was issued a violation for the use of the cell phone and the suspended registration on the car.

Friday, Feb. 8

10:47 a.m. – A Marlborough Street resident told police a tote container holding comforters and blankets had been stolen from someone who used to live there. Police reached out to the person and he said he’d only taken his belongings. He did return a bag of tools.

Saturday, Feb. 9

1:31 a.m. – Police were called to Thorpe’s Liquor Store after someone noticed three men looking into the windows of the store then headed south on Post Road in a dark colored SUV or truck. Police found a truck in front of Greenwich Club and the driver of the truck got out and started walking toward police, his arms and clothing covered in blood. A passenger also had blood on him and appeared to be bleeding from his head. Both men appeared to be very drunk. Police called EGFD rescue and the two men were taken to Kent Hospital.

8:45 a.m. – Police reported to Thorpe’s Liquor Store on Main Street for the call of a broken windowpane at the front of the store. Police met with an employee of the store who said he found the front window to the store smashed in when he arrived for work. There was blood on some of the broken pieces of glass. Later that morning, a woman called to say she’d woken up early in the morning to yelling. She saw two men arguing in front of Thorpe’s, then saw one man push the other in the back seat of a pickup truck.

Value the news you get here on East Greenwich News? As a 501-c3, we depend on reader support. Become a sustaining (monthly) donor or make a one-time donation! Click on the Donate button below or send a check to EG News, 18 Prospect St., East Greenwich, RI 02818. Thanks.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments


Newsletter Sign Up

* indicates required


Latest Streaming