Dog Dies in House Fire

by | Mar 23, 2023

Firefighters found an unconscious dog in a house on Cedar Avenue Tuesday (3/21) while fighting a fire there and efforts to resuscitate the animal were unsuccessful, EGFD Fire Chief Bernie Patenaude confirmed. 

Patenaude said dispatch got a call about a fire at the house at 342 Cedar Avenue at around 4 p.m. and firefighters arrived within minutes. By then, fire was visible on the east side of the house. While the residents of the house were at home, firefighters were told they had a dog. When firefighters got into the house, they found the dog in an upstairs bedroom. 

They took the dog outside but they were unable to resuscitate it. 

Patenaude said it appeared the fire had been burning for a while but with no people at home, it wasn’t until the fire broke through to the outside of the house that it was noticed. He said the dog probably died of carbon monoxide poisoning. 

The state fire marshal determined the cause of the fire was electrical.

Value the news you get here on East Greenwich News? As a 501-c3, we depend on reader support. Become a sustaining (monthly) donor or make a one-time donation! Click on the Donate button below or send a check to EG News, 18 Prospect St., East Greenwich, RI 02818. Thanks.

Notify of

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Joe Madden
Joe Madden
March 27, 2023 7:59 am

Chief Patenaude and the fire crew were tremendous and made a valiant effort trying to save my puppy Nala, who was a member of the family.

I wanted to express my gratitude to the fire department and EGPD for their efforts to save my house and prevent the fire from consuming everything. They acted swiftly and with great compassion.

With gratitude,

Joe Madden


Newsletter Sign Up

* indicates required


Latest Streaming