Firefighters at 66 King St.

A gas heater was responsible for a fire at an apartment house at 66 King Street Saturday morning that displaced 7 residents. No one was injured.

According to Capt. Tom Mears, the call came in at 8:05 a.m. and firefighters were on the scene within two minutes. That was fortunate, he said, noting that the building had balloon frame construction, common in older buildings. Balloon frame structures do not have built in fire stops.

“It was an aggressive fire,” Mears said. “It was only a matter of time until we lost the building.”

Eight firefighters put out the fire, with Capt. Mears taking charge.

Several residents evacuated the building. After the fire was under control, firefighters and one resident returned inside to look for a cat, which was found upstairs inside a couch. Firefighters also rescued a parakeet.

The residents have been displaced until utility services to the building are restored.

Donate to East Greenwich News during February and take part in a sustaining donor match! Show your love for local news – click here to learn more.